The American Foreign Policy Council (AFPC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit located in Washington, DC. It has largely been chaired by conservatives, including officials that served in conservative Presidential administrations. Its foreign and defense policy specialists provide information to members of the US Congress, the Executive Branch, and the US policymaking community, as well as world leaders outside of the US (particularly in the former USSR).
AFPC publishes reports that analyze foreign policy. Common topics include security (missile defense, arms control, energy security, espionage) as well as the ongoing status of democracy and market economies.
Board of advisors
As of May 2023, AFPC’s board of advisors consists of
- Paula Dobriansky, former Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs
- James S. Gilmore III, former U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and Governor of Virginia
- Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
- Bob Kasten, former Senator from Wisconsin
- Richard T. McCormack, former United States Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment
- Tom Ridge, former United States Secretary of Homeland Security
- William Schneider Jr., former Under Secretary of State for International Security Affairs
- Manisha Singh, Former Assistant Secretary and Acting Under Secretary of State
- Dov S. Zakheim, former Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)
- Grant profile of the AFPC, Media Transparency