Clermont, Oise


Clermont, Oise


Clermont (French pronunciation: ​[klɛʁmɔ̃]) is a commune in the Oise department in northern France.

History

Clermont was also known as Clermont-en-Beauvaisis or Clermont-de-l'Oise. The town is built on a hill surmounted by a 14th century keep. It is the relic of a fortress that was used as a penitentiary for women. The church dates from the 14th to the 16th centuries. The hôtel-de-ville, built by King Charles IV, who was born in Clermont in 1294, is the oldest in the north of France.

The town was probably founded during the time of the Norman invasions, and was an important military post, during the middle ages. It was repeatedly taken and retaken by the contending parties during the Hundred Years' War, and the Wars of Religion, In 1615 Henry II., prince of Condé, was besieged and captured there by the marshal d’Ancre.

Sights

  • Church St Samson (12th, 14th and 16th centuries) containing numerous Painting from the seventeenth century
  • Dungeon of Clermont, 12th century
  • fortified town hall, 14th century
  • Subprefecture, 15th century
  • Lardieres chapel, 17th century
  • Chatellier Park and view on the north of the town
  • Faÿ Wood

International relations

It is twinned with:

  • Sudbury, United Kingdom
  • Chiaramonte Gulfi, Italy

See also

  • Communes of the Oise department
  • List of counts of Clermont-en-Beauvaisis
  • Artist Seraphine Louis, 1888-1942

References

External links

  • INSEE commune file




Clermont, Oise


Langue des articles



Quelques articles à proximité